Chadron was selected as the site of the fourth Nebraska State Normal School on January 8, 1910, and located on the grounds of the former Chadron Congregational Academy. Classes began in the summer of 1911.
Chadron State has evolved into a comprehensive college with a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. Chadron State is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, as well as subject-oriented accrediting agencies.
From its modest beginning, Chadron State College has evolved into a rapidly growing multipurpose institution of higher education. Located in the scenic Pine Ridge region of northwest Nebraska, the college serves the intellectual, cultural, and recreational needs of western Nebraska. The college’s alumni achievements and contributions to society are widespread and have been recognized through regional, national, and international awards, including a Nobel Prize.