$1,500 Hiring Bonus (paid out after 90 days of employment)
We're Growing - Come Make A Difference!
In a career as a Crisis Counselor with the Boys Town National Hotline, you have the opportunity to bring forward your passion of helping other people. Sometimes, a friendly, nonjudgmental voice can be the difference between utter despair and a glimmer of hope. Hope is exactly what thousands of people each year find when they call the Boys Town National Hotline. You would make an impact by addressing issues ranging from bullying and family problems to substance abuse and suicidal thoughts.
Job Summary: Boys Town National Hotline is a 24/7 crisis line; with a primary focus to de-escalate crisis situations presented via phone, chat, text and email. Crisis situations can range from relationship struggles, parenting issues, child abuse, anxiety, depression to suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts in progress. If you have a passion for helping others, you enjoy providing support and encouragement to others, and enjoy working in a team environment the crisis counselor position would be a good fit for you!
** Bilingual (Spanish) positions also available with the expectation to fluently read, write and speak Spanish and English
• Assesses immediate and long-term safety of the client to determine what next steps should be taken.
• Use basic counseling techniques such as questioning, paraphrasing, and reflective listening.
• Remains calm and objective during life-threatening situations, enlists support of senior staff as needed for • difficult calls, and makes joint decisions about further action.
Provide helpful information to clients including parenting skills and problem solving and walks client through steps to arrive at a solution.
• Follows established actions in handling each call, text and email and utilizes judgment within each situation.
• Documents details and information given within the course of the contact and provides reports as needed.
• Determines urgency and nature of contact and provides appropriate short-term crisis counseling or resource information, problem solving techniques, and advice.
• Serve as a role model in carrying out the Boys Town mission.
• Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioral Science is preferred, but not required.
• Previous crisis intervention or hotline experience preferred, but not required.
• High level of interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
• Computer skills in Microsoft Office, or other related programs, and web-based or other electronic communication formats.
• Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content.