At Heartland Family Service, we are committed to building a culture that is trauma informed and values and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We believe this allows for better service delivery and innovation, as it encourages our employees to bring various experiences and uniqueness to the workplace.
Trauma Informed Care is an approach to engaging people with histories of trauma that recognizes the presence of trauma symptoms and acknowledges the role that trauma has played in their lives. Trauma Informed Care also acknowledges the effects of working with trauma survivors in our workforce, and seeks to build collaborative and supportive working environments and relationships.
If you believe in our mission of creating healthy families and communities, and like a fast pace, collaborative and team oriented environment, then Heartland Family Service is the agency for you.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION OF WORK
To provide a well-organized, smooth functioning school and therapeutic environment in which students can take full advantage of the instructional program and available resource materials. Support Coaches will be assigned to work in the classroom and therapy groups, assist with behavioral needs, support and work closely with other team members in providing programming benefit for each student. Highly developed interpersonal skills are necessary. Decision making skills and problem-solving capabilities are critical. We are responsible for adequate supervision of students in our care.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (August through May)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- *Responsibilities include direct supervision of the students.
- *Assist the Teacher and Therapist in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individuals’ students, their needs, interests and abilities.
- *Provides guidance, support and communication to students and families when indicated and appropriate.
- *Assist the program with additional duties to include but not limited to collaboration of classroom material, assisting the teacher with making coping, grading materials, classroom token economy system and participation in meetings and trainings as appropriate
- Participation in multidisciplinary team process in assessing, planning and evaluation student needs/progress.
- *Use positive behavior management techniques including verbal redirection, collaborative problem solving, teaching moments, de-escalation and CPI as trained
- Effectively communicate facility and programmatic behavioral expectations and implementation to students with the assistance of the Leadership Team.
- *Assist with orientation of new students, emphasize on family engagement through their enrollment in the program and create a safe and a Trauma Informed environment.
- *Responsible for the student’s safety, engagement, supervision and documentation throughout the school day, including behavior tracking, MDT data wall documentation, writing incident reports when necessary and collaborating with the mental health team on reflective practice worksheets when necessary.
- Model culturally and socially desired behaviors while explaining the behaviors to students to facilitate learning and replication of the behaviors.
- Assists with formulating student goals and implements the PBIS model in the classroom.
- *Facilitates structured programming groups, such as life skills, social skills, recreational activities, physical education and independent living.
- Cooperates and collaborates with program staff, volunteers and other Agency staff.
- Maintain Heartland Family Service professional and ethical standards of conduct outlined in the employee handbook including demonstrating respect for agency staff, clients, and community members
- Maintain compliance with agency policies and procedures and established state standards and requirements
- Maintain confidentiality in all areas of child and program operations
- Complete all required documentation prior to completion of shift
- Develops personal and program related skills through participation in internal and external training opportunities
- Maintains regular, prompt attendance on a consistent and reliable basis
- Create, maintain and share as appropriate a dynamic self-care plan.
- Performs other program related duties as assigned
*DENOTES ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Salary is based upon years of experience.